Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki diatonics available at Costco

That's all very well Kevin, for those of us who have access to other
methods of obtaining harmonicas and who live in countries with local stores or
who have vehicles and can drive longer distances.

But my original reason for posting that a warehouse store such as  Costco
carried 4 particular Suzukis (in key of C only,  btw)...was precisely so
those folks who live in areas NOT served by local  stores or who have to pay
exorbitant import/handling fees to obtain harmonicas  could perhaps get to try
out an instrument of interest to them prior to making  the investment of
placing a bigger order for other keys online.

I've checked further and they actually allow return of items, and that
policy seems to apply to the harmonicas as well.

In case you weren't aware, Costco has stores in several countries  around
the world. I've heard enough complaints about people in certain poorer  areas
having no access to harmonicas at all, so provided the  information
hopefully for them, specifically.

And for the record, since I too shop first in my local community like you,
the only 'local ma and pa music store' in my entire area has never had the
remotest interest in carrying harmonicas despite my entreaties over the
years.  The other 'big music store' an hour+ drive away charges a  prohibitive
amount for my chromatics of choice, the CX-12 as well  as carrying them
only in one key. So thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather  purchase 3 at a time
from a vendor at a harmonica convention. (I'm not unique in  this aspect).

 I have kept many of my local hardware, book and other stores in  business
for years. However, when I cannot find the products I require  locally, then
I drive the half hour to the Costco store where I shop.

Are you also unaware that many small business owners (such as your local
'ma and pa stores' ) manage to stay in business precisely because they're
able  to consistently obtain their supplies at a huge discount from warehouse
stores such as Costco, Sam's Warehouse, etc?

Nothing is ever quite so simple as one might assume.

To that end I've gone back in to the website to see just where their stores
 are located and come up with this list. I must have been misled by the
original  map: there are none in India as far as I now know.  The countries
(unless more have been added recently) are:

The United States (40 States)
Australia
Canada
Japan