Re: [Harp-L] Breathy harp?

Sean,

Once you hear a windy/breathy sound and given you control your embouchure well, then the harp is leaking. I had similar experience with the supposedly airtight harmonica and the problem was that during assembling of plates I misaligned them a bit. And after I realized that I just loosened the screws and pushed the plates back and forth to settle them correctly - once they are in place you can feel it when playing even with the loosened screws.

another thing, old harmonica players often say - clean the harp, but don't mess with the traces/particles under the chamber dividers - they make the harp airtight - germs can be useful:)

hope that helps,

alex

Help save paper! Do you really need to print this email?

>>> Sean Murphy <taser8@xxxxxxxxx> 08/04/2010 03:35 >>>
I followed Jason Ricci's "Mongoose Free" cleaning method on an old
inherited Special 20 last week, and had a couple of questions...

First, I note that despite working it for a while (lightly! quickly!)
I've still got some pretty significant discolorations on the plates -
I am chalking those up to residue from the previous owner, am I
correct?

Of more concern, however, is that the harp seems really...I don't know
how else to say it...breathy now. That is to say, it plays fine on the
lower notes but as I move higher and higher it seems like it takes
more and more wind to sound a note - I can hear a very clear
windy/breathy sound before the notes blows, and even when it's
sounding I can hear my breath hissing through the harp.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I note that JR refers to making
the harp "airtight" - could that be it? What does that entail? I
tightened it up pretty solidly when I reassembled the harp, so I don't
think it's air leaking between anything but I could well be wrong...

Thanks!
Sean

This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient(s) does not in any way waive privilege or confidentiality.
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to whom or which it is addressed.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited.
The sender accepts no liability for the proper transmission of this communication or for any delay in its receipt.