[Harp-L] 3rd Position

If you want a good 3rd Position song to work on and familiarize yourself
with this position I would recommend George Harmonica Smith's "Telephone
Blues" or Kim Wilson's cover of the same.  Or try Kim Wilson's cover of
"Early In the Morning" (Wells?).  These are good songs to learn on and the
riffs are very 'mutable'.  My mutable I mean you can take the riffs and
alter the accent or tempo and apply them to different parts of the blues
progression, string them together in different ways.  I'm pretty adept and
3rd and these two songs are what got me started.

Also try Wilson's "Hurt on Me" if you want to hear how nicely you can jump
in 3rd.

Musslewhite has done some really interesting things with 3rd to be sure but
what he does is often unique and seems to just work for the groove or song
he's put together.  I'm not knocking it, I'm just pointing out that his
stuff may not be the best study material.  Wilson's stuff is fantastic and
you can carry it away and make it your own fairly fast - if you're creative.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh