[Harp-L] 5th Position

Although 5th position is Phrygian mode (minor second, third, sixth and seventh) it's very usable for natural minor blues or any other natural minor material where you don't need to play the major second. Also, you can bend draw 2 a half step to get a major second in the lower register.

You don't usually need the major second to play blues, and this is also true for a lot of other material, so I use 5th for natural minors all the time.

Now, jazz is a different story because you often need the major second to play the heads. So, for natural minor jazz material, I'll use 4th position more often.

But I can play all sorts of minor material very effectively in 5th.

JP