Re: [Harp-L] Visualizing chords and music structure _was Nashville Number System

I guess the advantage that Howard had in visualising things on the piano is
that he is a phenomenal piano player, which i guess might help a bit.  I'm
without my keyboard at the moment - owing to my mate nicking the gang socket
I leant him last week and found it really annoying to be without it as a
reference when practicing over the weekend.

Must say I'm a bit disappointed that no-one's taken up my challenge to write
out the progression for All the Things You Are using the Nashville Number
system.  i would have thought that anyone with an interest in music
education at whatever level would want to take an interest in something that
might help a dyslexic musician, primarily because there are so many dyslexic
musicians - a fifth of the intake on the jazz course at Trinity in london
apparently - but also because the kid that seems to excel musically but
maybe struggles a bit elsewhere in life, may well be dyslexic or have
another specific learning disability and music can be their opportunity to
excel, especially if can remove any anxieties about the non-dyslexic
friendly bits.

Obviously as a dyslexic myself who experienced dyslexia unfriendly music
tuition as a child and thought for years that it was hopeless to think of
myself as a proper musician because i'll never be able to cope with the
written stuff, i also have strong feelings about this. But i am also a
front-line mental health worker so i see when dyslexia unfriendliness comes
out down the road as anxiety and depression, or OCD type symptoms
or addiction issues etc

Thanks

Bill