Re: [Harp-L] Parker's Mood

michael rubin wrote:
<I am not sure if I agree with Roger's comment.  I also recommend
<moving the harp not the head, but clearly David is playing beautifully
<and in a very advanced style while using his  head.  Perhaps David has
<discovered that the head is an alternate method.

I used to be very hardline on this issue: good technique is moving the harp, bad technique is moving the head.  However, I have since seen Howard Levy play on several occasions. You can't argue with the speed and accuracy of Howard's playing, and he moves his head plenty.

I continue to believe that it's better to move the harp than the head, "better" in this case meaning that it's less tiring and produces a more consistent embouchure. But if a player is getting great results by moving their head, let 'em move it.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick