Re: [Harp-L] Genius? LOL

I don't pretend to have my finger on the pulse of popular music, nor do I
desire to. Everyone wants to jump on this, and I wasn't saying anything
negative about  Howard. I do think Howard is a genius, I enjoy his music,
and I think it is a shame that his name is not a household word. He has
obviously worked quite hard at what he does. Hope we're clear on that. I was
in no way inferring that Howard is not successful, only pointing out that
when I bring his name up, I seem to get, "I don't know who that is".  . And
that my own  first exposure was more the "look what I can do with the
instrument", and then later was exposed to some relaxed playing that was
what impressed me the most.

I really wish I hadn't brought Howard's name up because it has comepletely
sidetracked the discussion.

As an example of how much I know about what's popular, going down the list
Rob linked to, I only recognize one in maybe 6 names.

I do know that in my world I've run in to no one so far that knows who
Howard is, besides Jim Mclaughlin, who is a modern style progressive
harmonica player, and is who first told me about Howard years ago, long
before I had a computer or had heard of HarpL.

I do still beleive that there are many less technically skilled harmonica
players that are better recieved and more popular than many of the more
technically accomplished players,  I'm not saying it  is fair, only that I
believe that's the way it is. If I used the wrong names as examples I
apologize, but I do believe that the point I attempted to make is valid.

I think there is something to be gained by reconizing that it takes a lot
more than technical ability to make memorable music,  and of course it takes
technical ability too. The great thing I've come away with here is a better
and more up to date definition of genius, thanks Steve, I agree.

Takin' the dogs to the river for a little peace and tranquility, JD