Re: [Harp-L] Re: Genius? LOL

Thanks Jerome and apologies to Patrice

I'll check out Laurent Maur, thanks for the tip.

One of things about genius that may be mistaken is that it underestimates the importance of precedence, nothing really happens in a vacuum - Levy's solitary pursuit of chromaticism aside perhaps? - the majority of great discoveries come from more of a collective effort, just like scientists and philosophers, musicians have 'peer review' and maybe the great one's add that insatiable human desire to find something new to say.

That power of precedent in defining what's possible that's the key maybe. I'm often struck by (and jealous of) how exciting and innovative the french harp scene is with a veritable cluster of so many great and innovative players. I think, and no doubt others could say more of about the influence of Jean Jacques Milteau but my thinking is that this has been enormous and if so i think we should all be very grateful to him.

I think the future looks good for the harp myself and the more people find out about the potential of the instrument the more those frontiers of what's possible will shift. Add to that the better instruments that are coming out and it gets rosier and rosier.

Great I think!

Bill