Re: [Harp-L] Nic Clark playing the VHT Special 6 amp

5 watt amps are loud, sure.  In a small room without a lot of competition from other instruments, a 5 watt amp can be very loud indeed.

However, I would be very uneasy playing with a loud band if I was only armed with a 5 watt amp, especially if there was no way to line-out that amp to a PA.  Most players would find a 5 watt amp to be insufficient for a gig with most amped bands in a room with 80-100 people in it, especially if those people weren't sitting and listening politely.

In other words, there's a reason why people buy bigger amps.  I can't think of any working pro playing with a band who does most of his or her gigs with a 5-watt amp.  That goes for guitarists as well as harp players.

I also agree that most harp players should have a good 5 watt tube amp. They're generally inexpensive, good-sounding, and fun.  Most harp players will also need an amp that's bigger and louder.

Also keep in mind that if everybody in the world buys a VHT Special 6, everybody's gonna have the same amped sound.  (Yes, I know it's the player, not the amp.  But still.)

Thanks, Richard Hunter