[Harp-L] Re: The Mission Chicago 32-20 harp amp

I disagree with this analysis of Weber Copper Cap rectifiers. Copper
Caps are actually a line of rectifiers that have different b+ (power
supply) voltage and sag (the fall in b+ when the amp is presented with
a strong input signal) characteristics- from none to lots depending on
the model chosen.  This is similar to tube rectifiers, for example-  a
GZ34 tube recto provides higher voltage and less sag than 5U4 which
provides higher voltage and less sag than a 5R4.  So... a Copper Cap
can provide less, more or about the same sag as a particular tube
recto, depending on the one chosen.  The exception to this is with a
solid state recto with no sag circuitry- which will provide high b+
and no sag compared to about any tube recto setup (but perhaps
parallel GZ34s).

The trade-off of characteristics associated with different b+ voltage
and sag characteristics (loud/crisp/tight vs warm) occurs with
different tube rectos AND Copper Cap rectos.  (BTW- b+ with lower
voltage and more sag can be produced without changing the recto by
inserting a power resistor between the b+ source and the first filter
cap)

Was the message below directed at Gary O's recent posts regarding the
use of Copper Cap rectos in the Cruncher?  Does a 1961 Fender Concert
solid state rectified amp lack tone?  I am pretty sure the Harp King
is SS rectified.

Jim R