Re: [Harp-L] Re: The Mission Chicago 32-20 harp amp

Jim, the sag circuit in the copper solid state rectos is (as I understand
it) a power resistor.  It attempts to emulate the sound of real tube sag,
but it does not sound the same.  Tube sag is a kind of living, breathing
effect that varies with volume and attack and load on the amp.  It is one of
those things that makes good tube harp amps seem to be alive.  Artificial
sag (from a static resistor) sounds rigid, the same at low volume as as
higher volumes.

I've used the copper solid state recto in several amps, and I liked it in
smaller class A amps like my Champ.  But small amps like the Champ don't
really produce sag, since they are always cookin' on high anyway.  The solid
state recto gave the Champ a crisper feel.  "Crisp" and "sag" are opposites
of each other as far as rectifiers go.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog