[Harp-L] Re: Thoughts on doing a concept album...

Mike Fugazzi wrote:
Thanks for the input.  This project would vary a bit from the normal
live band records CD to promote themselves.  Well, it would server
that purpose to an extent, but in general, the idea is really to
promote harmonica in a rock/pop context and hopefully help support a
charity (I have one local and one national in mind at the moment).

Mike, it sounds like you've got plenty of experience with this kind of project, so you're probably more knowledgeable than me on that score.  I'll just ask a few questions.

Didn't recall that you said this was going to be a live recording--is that the idea? Will certainly reduce production costs if so.  150 people attending a charity show at $35 apiece goes a long way towards paying the production costs.  So the project might be positioned as a fund raising party with live music, where the attendees get a CD (and maybe other stuff) as a memento of their contribution (and the party).  If that was the case, then you could do multiple performances and recordings--each show would produce collectible mementos of its own, which is a possible incentive to the audience to attend more than one.  Think of it as a charity tour--some good opportunities for publicity there too.

How does the basic idea--"to promote harmonica in a rock/pop context"--tie into the charity?  Are the songs or the harmonica thematically linked to the charity?  I don't know if audiences in general are interested in harmonica per se, any more than Kenny G's audience really cares much about soprano sax, as opposed to his sound and feel.  On the other hand, the uniqueness of the band would help to reinforce the uniqueness of a live recording as a memento of the event.

Is the hook for the paying audience the harmonica, or the charity?  From the sponsoring charity's point of view, are they comfortable with the idea that the project is promoting the harmonica--is that consistent with their objectives?  If the hook is the charity, then you need to tie the music and the recording directly to the charity's objectives.  And you'd need to justify the expense of recording and mixing the record as something that will advance the charity's goals, which otherwise might easily be met by your playing the gig without recording it.

Hope this is useful, thanks, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick