Re: [Harp-L] Hohner Educator 10/Chromatic questions

It's a myth that you can't play hard on a valved chromatic. Just listen to
Stevie Wonder, or William Clarke, or Larry Adler, or Leo Diamond, or Robert
Bonfiglio. They all play(ed) valved chromatics hard and with plenty of
expression.

You won't blow out a valve, either. Valves may fall off if the glue weakens, and
they will buzz and pop if they get gummed up with food residue. Valves can be
cleaned, straightened if they curl up, re-glued if they fall off, or totally
replaced.

Harmonica reeds are damaged when they get more energy than they can dissipate in
normal vibration, or if they're forced to respond to an oral cavity that is
tuned to a note outside its bending range. You can break reeds on diatonics,
tremolos, chromatics - whatever. Bending makes no difference if you do it in a
way that doesn't stress the reed excessively.

Valves increase the efficiency of breath delivery to a reed. This makes the reed
more sensitive to strong attacks, so playing a valved instrument requires you to
modify your attack until you figure out how to approach a valved reed. It also
helps to deliver the air through a fat pipe from a deep place and shape the
delivery from the throat forward to the lips - but this is true for all
harmonicas.

Personally, I find the Hohnica Educator 10 to be unbearably leaky. I prefer my
diatonics unvalved, but I really appreciate how valves open up the expressivity,
tonal palette, and loudness on chromatics.

Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com