Re: [Harp-L] the flat third

It sounds like you are suggesting doing this for cross harp playing.
You call the 6th degree during the I chord and the 2nd degree during
the V chord an avoid note because it is not in the pentatonic scale.
I am assuming you are referring to the minor pentatonic scale of 1 3b
4 5 7b8.  You are right that the note is note in the scale, but that
does not mean it is to be avoided.  If you only played minor
pentatonic scale tones things might get boring.  A 6th during the one
chord and a 2 during the V chord can sound great.  Why retune it lower
when it can be bent to get the lower note?  Go ahead and try your idea
and tell us how it turns out, but my instinct says it will limit you
more than help you.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com