Re: [Harp-L] 2 draw squeak

Brian wrote:

One of my Special 20's in D major emits a high frequency tone when I hit the
2 hole draw bend, in addition to the normal draw bend note. It doesn't seem
to do it with the covers off! Any ideas on what this might be as I've never
encountered it before in several years of playing? I've changed the covers
and tightened the screws to max in case it was a harmonic squeal from a
warped or loose cover but no improvement.
Suggestions and possible cures?

Pic wrote:

Mine, in Bb is now doing that and soon it will get lodged in my throat me
thinks.

Steve replies:

The reason for the squeak is usually a slight misalignment of the reed in the exceptionally tight air gap between reed and slot on the current Hohner Classic reed plates. It's definitely not a sign of fatigue. Since introducing the new reed profiles there have been no examples of such reeds breaking off and lodging in people's throats. Tightening the screws to the max is not a good idea as it may warp the reed plates and is more likely to exacerbate the problem. If this doesn't occur without the covers on I would suggest loosening the cover screws rather than tightening them. The reed plates screws should never be too tight for the same reason. Sometimes the squeak can be fixed by centering the reed in the slot (try looking at the it against the light with the reed tip pushed into the slot). If it appears to be centered correctly you may want to try stabilising the rivet pad with a tiny dab of wax or petroleum jelly, this usually helps.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com