Re: [Harp-L] the flat third

Yep i see where you coming from........I have a spare A harp so i'll give it a go.I find the 1V chord the 'hardest' chord to play during a stock standard blues and it seems that people seem to spend an inordinate amount of time learning to overblow holes 1&4 to get the flat third it they must feel that it is an important note to be able to hit..
I like to do variations on the scale running up the harp from the low octave to the top so my thinking is that a quick run on the 1V up from (say) 4 blow to the impressive 10 hole bent would be facilitated by not having to worry about bending the 8 on the way through if you catch my drift.
I know what you mean about the power of bends in the grab and release power of them but that 8 hole just annoys me in a way because in playing a stock standard 1 1V V blues you can very successfully never use it as is so to speak.C harp 2nd position, where does E fit really on the inherent (blues or pentatonic)scale.
Anyway better brains than mine have been retuning harps for ages now so I'll give it a go and see how i go.
I think the secret might be to only flatten it around half a semitone.....and then go and buy a new Harp ;-)

Where's my file......

Rick
in NZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>

Generally, you don't want the flat 3rd in the IV chord. It sounds way too dark for most blues - except maybe sophisticated jazz-style blues - and even then not all the time.

You *do* want the ability to start that note bent down a little and then release the bent note into the full major note. That can sound very bluesy. But tuning he note down takes that away.

You can try it, but I think you'll find it too limiting. It gives you something you can already get anyway, while taking away something else that's just as desirable - possibly more so.

Winslow