From: Rick Davis <bluesharpamps@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp- L <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, February 4, 2010 7:11:09 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Front & Center Harp Microphones

After reviewing the Front and Cener Mics a few weeks ago I finally ordered
one for myself. It arrived yesterday.

Holy Cow!  It sounds better than I remember.

First, the feedback rejection: When I compare it directly with my
(formerly) favorite gig mic -- a Greg Heumann-modified Peavey Cherry Bomb
bullet fitted with Shure CM element -- the F&C mic has the same perceived
volume at the same amp settings. BUT... when you crank it up the F&C mic
does not start feeding back until you get to stupid levels. Seriously, the
Peavey mic starts ringing at 6, while the Front & Center mic didn't ring
until 10.

(I used my Mission 5F2H custom harp amp for this test. The volume goes to
12. I didn't use any effects on the amp or on the recording. I did the test
in my office at home.)

Next, the tone: My Peavey bullet is a very good sounding harp mic. The
problem it has --and which it shares with all Shure CM/CR microphones -- is
that it is a feedback magnet and it can be muddy. In A/B tests at the same
perceived volume the F&C mic sounds crisper without being brighter. It's
more defined. The notes seem to jump out of the amp and spin around the
room.

Photos, details, and sound clips are here:
http://bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-front-center-harp-microphone.html

Front and Center Mics:  http://www.frontandcentermics.com/

--
-Rick Davis