[Harp-L] Re: Tradition vs. Innovation

Bob Dylan is a great analogue for this thread.  A  sizeable majority of the
folk community were OUTRAGED when Mr Zimmerman  (Bob) first plugged in an
electric guitar.  They felt betrayed,  they said their young hero had sold
out, they were upset & dismayed,  they booed at his performance.  As I recall
it worked out well  for all concerned, even the most staunch of the
opponents eventually had to  admit it wasn't so horrible after all.

Would Bob have been as good of an act without an electric  guitar?
Probably so, but it would have been different.   Different isn't necessarily better
or worse.  Different can be great,  different can be awful... but there is
no getting around the  fact that it drives advancement, which is the "A" in
SPAH.   It's ok to have a strong preference but lets stay open minded, we
don't want the  "P" (preservation) in SPAH to be swapped for "Prevention"

Chris Richards  -  Twin Tone Harmonica  Microphones