Re: [Harp-L] Re: Doing the Impossible

nope - this guy was from the south - Georgia or the Carolinas in the radio
interview

In a message dated 2/11/2010 9:30:56 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<  Interesting story I heard on NPR about an amazing acoustic guitarist  -
<unfortunately, I can't remember his name. The story goes that as  a
<youngster, he was taken by a guitar recording (maybe on a 45 record)  and
it
<inspired him to learn it off the record, even though it sounded  very
<complicated. Well, he eventually worked it out and it was a basis  for his
<techniques. It was later that he learned that, on the original  record, it
<was actually TWO guitar players playing. Since he didn't  know this at
first,
<he didn't realize that it was impossible to play  what two guitar players
<played on one guitar, therefore, he figured out  a way to do it - in
essence,
<doing the impossible, because no one told  him it was....

The guitarist is Boston-based Guy van Duser--he told me  this story once
upon a time.  The record he copied was by Les Paul, and  it wasn't two
guitarists playing, it was Les with an echo.  Van Duser  thought Les was
double-picking, and that's the way he learned it.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
latest mp3s and  harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp
more mp3s at  http://taxi.com/rhunter