Re: [Harp-L] Jam session etiquette question

At our weekly jams, I am one of the regulars as well. Our objective in having these jams is to give people who do not play regularly a chance to play. For purposes of the jam, I regard myself as a sideman who will take the lead if asked. I would rather one of the less experienced people have a chance.

Now when someone does something out of line, I swallow hard and then do whatever I damn well want. I do not speak to the person about the problem, allowing hir to come to me about it. If that happens, I will straighten them out. Otherwise, I will do one of three things.

1. See if they do it again.
2. Avoid them if they are just bugging me.
3. Throw their asses out if they are too disruptive, too drunk, etc.

Basically, then, I won't do anything if their behavior affects only me. I am there to help others enjoy the experience of playing blues, because I get to play plenty of gigs. If it affects others, then it is time for them to go. This is supposed to be a fun experience for everyone and one AJ (sp. asjol) will not be allowed to spoil it for everyone else.

-LM