[Harp-L] Overblows in the blues - check this out

> Music speaks louder than words. To all you Blues traditionalists who hate
> overblows, go to 3:52 in this clip and LISTEN:
>
> SLOW BLUES IN C
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MtRHq8ERCE
>
> All those sexy 'bends' are overblows on a C harp, middle octave, 1st
> Position...
>
> What's your answer to that?

Well my first answer to that is to say why do you think all Blues
traditionalists hate overblows? I do wish people would read with more
accuracy. But maybe you haven't read my posts. Anyway, this "drawing up of
lines for battle" gets a bit old.

My second answer is to say it sounds great in terms of pitch control. I
appreciate hearing this because it proves that it can be done on held notes.
Tonewise it sounds kind of thin but that improves when he does the trumpet
mute thing. That stuff is fabulous.

As a side comment, why bother with a bullet mic in some of those clips? The
effect on his tone is minimal. He might as well use a rack system and patch
in some effect, which is what the rock-blues OB guys do to achieve a
blues-esque tone.

I'd also say that I totally agree with whoever it was that mentioned Ian
Collard. There's a guy who shows that you can judiciously use OBs to great
effect with consistently fat tone. Terrific musician.

By the way, loved your playing on that Renee Geyer album a few years back.

Drew