RE: [Harp-L] Overblows in the Blues - Check This Out

Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:18:17 -0500
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Overblows in the Blues - Check This Out
From: thenewtdawg@xxxxxxxxx
To: harp_boy@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: bren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

>(mildly off topic) -- speaking of Sugarcane Harris -- remember
>how he used to play classic harp lines on his violin?

>Bill Newton

Not just harp lines...because many of the riffs, passages,
idea's etc. that harp has always mimicked comes from other
instruments or sounds. (trains in particular) I think in blues
you can trace allot of those classic lines back to piano in
the 20's...and horns in the 30's and 40's. But I did and do
understand what you meant Bill.

Another bit of musical trivia about Don Sugarcane Harris
that some may be aware of...and some might not...

He was also the Great duo vocalist in the group from the
late 50's and early 60's - Don & Dewey !!!!!!!!

They had a hit in 1958 with the song:
"Im Leaving It Up To You"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx8FS2F3eHw&feature=related

~Donnie~