Re: [Harp-L] I thought Shakespeare wrote Juke?

OK, most of the topics on Harp-L are out of my area of expertise, but I do
know Shakespeare, as my students will tell you as they roll their eyes at
the mention of my name....

It is well-known in academic circles that Shakespeare only created one play
out of whole cloth - The Tempest. Juke was not in this play. Most of
Shakespeare's stories are based on actual historical figures or popular
mythology and legends of northern Europe.  Juke, in fact, has been traced to
a ninth-century Norse folk ballad. An illuminated manuscript in the archives
at Kings College, Oxford describes an OB6 in the third turnaround that was
lost during a period of populist backlash to the Enlightenment, which lasted
until the 20th century, and explains its absense in Little Walter's version.

Just had to put my foot down here and re-direct the conversation out of the
realm of speculation.

 - Blake

--
http://www.myspace.com/46long