[Harp-L] Re: Overblows in the blues - check this out

> “As a side comment, why bother with a bullet mic in some of those clips?
> The
> effect on his tone is minimal. He might as well use a rack system and patch
> in
> some effect, which is what the rock-blues OB guys do to achieve a
> blues-esque
> tone.”
>
> Interesting comment, can you give some examples of rock-blues OB player
> that in
> your opinion use effects to to achieve a blues-esque tone?

Jason Ricci. I understand he can get a big tone using traditional techniques
but since his trademark speed and facility depends on lip pursing, he uses a
bunch of pedals. I think of him more as a rock-blues kind of guy. Doesn't
matter the genre, the point is that you can't get the same bassy tone when
doing lots of that lip pursing and whistling through the harp, so you need
effects. This is NOT a criticism - it's an observation. This is after all a
harp forum for discussion, so please don't take this as a challenge. Just a
comment.

In my opinion none of the OB players mentioned in this thread fit that
> little effects (Adam Gussow), are not rock-blues guys (Howard Levy, Carlos
> del
> Junco) or use effects specifically to move away from a blues-esque tone
> (Jason
> Ricci, Chris Michalek).

Okay, fair enough. Though I vaguely remember from way back that del Junco
when he first hit the scene was using a RI Bassman with a string of pedals.
I really don't know about Michalek.

But regards Levy, see below.

I'm assuming that in this case your definition of blues tone is the
> traditional amplified Chicago harp.

Not at all. I'm just making an observation on the Howard Levy video that was
posted. He clearly thinks he needs to use a bullet for those blues segments.
In your opinion, did it have much difference on the tone? I suspect I can
hear a pedal in there, as well, so I'm wondering if the mic did much at all.

Anyway, it's fun to kick this stuff around.

All the best
Drew