Re: [Harp-L] Jam session etiquette question

A few years back, when I was trying to find any place at all to play with real musicians, I stopped to check out a local "jam." It was hosted by a couple of brothers who were very good. On break, they came over and asked me to get up with a local guitarist/singer. (One of them had seen me play somewhere before and knew I played a little harp.)
I wasn't really there to play that night, but I had a C harp in my pocket. I asked the guitar player if he could do something in G and I would just try to play something. Sure, he said.  Then we got onstage and he took off in a different key, with a different song. So, OK, I just waited there looking like a dummy. He then kicked off another song, stilll not in G. I tried a couple of notes to see if I could find something, couldn't, and walked off.
I sat and watched him try to be a star, finished my drink and never went back.  Jam sessions are just not often predictable.
Steve Webb in Minnesota