[Harp-L] First serious foray into tuning questions

  Michael wrote that he had broken a few reeds and asked advice on how better to tune. He also asked about stretching the
octaves to make chords sound better.  He said: I have been studying Sleigh's manual........as per Richard's
instruction, I am tuning the higher note of an octave combination a hair sharper than the lower octave note.
  To which Jim Gordon replied: When tuning octaves it is the lower pitched reed that should be slightly sharper than
the higher reed, not the other way around as you say. ......snip......the octaves it is the lower reed that is more
likely to have the pitch depressed when playing octaves.

  I realize i must have been misinterpreting Jim's advice.  At first Jim's reply seemed to contain conflicting statements --
first that the lower note needs to be sharper, than that it needs to be lower (depressed.  After many readings, i finally
deduce that Jim meant that when PLAYING octaves, the lower note tends to flatten.
  I also own Richard's Turbocharge Your Harmonica book and without looking, I seem to
remember Richard saying what Michael said (that u tune a little higher as you go up the harp). Also, at the very beginning
of Richard's You Tube video, "How to Tune Harmonicas", Lesson 1.2
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkFKbHNngNs&feature=PlayList&p=8AFC5374E50E7A09&index=1 ), Richard says that the
higher notes get tuned a little higher.  Am i wrong?  So which is it?
ron - FL Keys