[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 83, Issue 3

The best line I ever heard: I was playing a duo gig with a piano player at a nice French restaurant/bar combo. We played almost all jazz, me mostly on sax and flute. We did a couple acoustic blues songs on harp to break things up a little. The very attractive bartender came up real close to me and said "you give good harp." I had trouble concentrating after that for a while.

I had another buddy I was always dragging to Norton Buffalo shows. Once he said to me, that guy is all technique, you play better and with more feeling. I kept him as a friend but wrote off all his opinions after that.

Marc Spilka
Los Gatos, CA

Ha! Michael, great anecdote! Smart woman!

If all those music fans knew how much we harmonica players have to train our tongues and mouths to be strong, sensitive, agile, fast and soft, we'd have almost as much "personal attention" as plank-spankers, who spend all their time running their hands up and down a long piece of wood, grimacing and drooling. Yet, somehow, it seems we harp players aren't considered as sexy. Go figure!

-Dave "Flutter-Tongue" Fertig
ps: It's ok, some of my best friends are geeter-box bangers!