Re: [Harp-L] Blue Bayou

On Jul 2, 2010, at 8:59 PM, Ken Hildebrand wrote:

Yes, Charlie McCoy played harmonica on Roy Orbison's "Blue Bayou" (I checked Charlie's website for the song credits).

Yes, Charlie played on most of Roy's work. Once in 63 while I was in the Seebees and stationed at Little Creek Va., I happened to spend a weekend at Va. Beach. Roy was appearing at the Peppermint Top Hat, and I offered to do Charlie's part on Candy Man. Roy 'diplomatically' turned me down. I never held it against him. lolol

A Paddy Richter tuned Low F works very well while playing along with Roy and Charlie... Charlie probably used a regular Richter- tuned F harp.

Charlie always used Richter harps. And when he needed the higher second octave sound but didn't want the problems associated with second octave, he did the same thing I did and would use a vest pocket harp. (vp harps were laid out like a Richter only an octave higher). He currently carries a double set. One Richter and one country tuned.

A few weeks ago, we did duets and he used country tuned and I use smo- joe tuned. Difference? My 9 draw is also sharped and I use a wind saver on the 5 draw. We did Crazy, You don't have to call me darlin, darlin, I love you just the way you are.

Charlie is a proponent of using stock out of the box harps. That way he can replace one at any time in an emergency. He sometimes buys them by the dozen. I generally take standard harps and file the 5 and 9 on the spot. I will be doing it at spah.

Joey in S.W. Fla.

Ken H in OH