[Harp-L] re: Chromatic versus Diatonic

Paul Routledge wrote:

I'm not personally a great fan of overblows as I have stated on
previous occasions. However I do think that they have a place in
music. It's just my preference not to use them.

I can see why some people like using them in a blues context, but when
it comes to playing jazz, classical, pop, etc and wishing to play
chromatically. I can't see why people wouldn't just choose to use a
chromatic harmonica instead. The tonality exhibited by most people
playing chromatically on a diatonic in genres outside of blues (and
maybe country music) is so close to the chromatic, that I honestly
don't see any real tangible benefits in using it.

For example if you listen to the audio clip that Chris Michalek
posted. It is extremely good playing as usual by Chris, although it's
overall tonality owes more to the chromatic work of Stevie Wonder and
Toots than anything else. So I just can't see why it wouldn't be
better to use the chromatic.

PT Gazell added:

I choose to add chromaticity to my playing by using the half valving method
which allows for additional bending, (both blow and draw notes,) to complete
the scale. My point is that a huge part of what people like and identify as
diatonic, is the bending and shading of the notes. A have just posted a new
clip to my You Tube page as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Otcjfpqew4

To my ears there is no mistaking that this is a diatonic... tonal wise as
well as pattern wise. Brendan Power and I did a duet CD in 2008 titled ²Back
To Back² which features Brendan playing half valved chromatics and me
playing half valved diatonics. Most people that have heard this project
comment on how the two harmonicas blend, but retain their individuality.
Also part of what you stated has to do with the fact that Chris plays a lot
in 11th and 12th positions which pattern wise sound more like a chromatic. I
suspect good over blowers, Chris being one of them, strive for the same
thing I do...to stretch the instrument and retain the diatonic flavor.
Playing without good intonation on overblows or half valving will indeed
prompt the question...why not just play a chromatic. When done correctly
however, I think it makes the diatonic that much more appealing.
--
PT Gazell
pt@xxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.ptgazell.com