Re: [Harp-L] Harp L: Chromatic versus Diatonic

Some songs/music just sounds better on a diatonic than a chromatic. This
has to do with several things beyond the basic visual difference of the
instruments. Some of the differences are obvious: the diatonic is smaller, lacks
 the double C's in the layout and because of bends and overblows offers
economy  of movement and playability. An octave spanning 4 holes is easier to
play than  one of five holes on are larger harmonica.

Another difference frequently ignored is the tuning: most diatonics are
closer to just tuning while chromatics are equal temperament (except for
Richter  chromatics: Koch, SlideHarp).

In jazz, western swing, folk, blues, country and pop a series of "smeared"
notes adds flavor to a performance. However, these same "less precise"
notes  played in music that demands precise intonation and timbre sound muddy or
 sloppy, even pitchy played in a series of bent notes or overblows.

One of the great gospel diatonic players frequently plays a classical piece
 as an encore. This always proves to be a crowd pleaser and brings down the
 house. But to any one who is familiar with the classical piece it is clear
he is  leaving out the tricky parts and glossing over some of the others --
mostly  likely because the notes are not available with bends (he doesn't
overblow).  This doesn't mean that his performance is lousey because  of
these  shortcomings. It just comes up a little short.

And even the great chromatic players from the Golden Age of Harmonica left
out difficult parts in extended pieces because certain runs were nearly
impossible, if not downright impossible, to play -- even on a chromatic.

For those who like hybrid playing -- using a variety of "bent notes" and
"give notes" the Hohner SlideHarp offers this choice. It is as large as the
conventional solo-tuned chromatic  but retains the Richter layout and if
you need to start a song on what would be a bent note on a blues harp, the
button allows for a "given note" that is always on pitch and will not wobble.
(On the A in the first octave is not available as a given note and must be
bent.)

Always get the right tool for the job. The test is in the performance. That
 is why there are so many different tunings in the Richter line, with the
country  tuning just the most obvious.

If you like bent notes, invest in at least one XB-40 -- where every note
bends at least a half-step. If you don't own a chromatic, buy a Hohner
Educator  -- an air-tight 10-hole with no windsavers to clog, stick or fall out.
Try a Lee  Oskar Melody Maker. And buy one of the upscale diatonics that
overblow out of  the box. It's not that some harmonica tunings are better --
chrome v. diatonic  -- just that they are different. And to exploit each to its
fullest, you have to  understand this difference.

Hope this helps
Phil

In a message dated 7/3/2010 4:00:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,