[Harp-L] Paparozzi - Black Orpheus and other sundry thoughts

re: this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCKE3rVVthM

Rob, you sound great!  I really like the Chrom when it's played like
that.  Perhaps some of the phrasing and overall sound has to do with
the fact that you're a kick ass harp player too?

I don't know how to explain how I feel about the differences between
the Chrom and the diatonic that I hear in my head.  I was a Chromatic
player for quite a while when I was learning to play. In fact my first
recording session ever employed a chromatic.  As a grew more adept at
the diatonic, I found there is a sound and lyrical-ness to the harp
that I rarely hear with Chromatic players, but it's not that either...
there is just a certain sound and way with the harp that is much more
appealing to me than the chrom.

I know the term Legato but purposeful didn't use that term.  When I
say fluid, I mean liquid sounding, and I know that goes back to the
term legato. I can't put my finger on it but I can say the over all
"evenness" of the notes on the chromatic turns me off a little bit.  I
also agree with Bonfiglio that the harp isn't suitable for classical
music, however, I believe a well played diatonic is more suitable for
jazz and other forms of music over the Chrom.  The problem is, there
really is only one player on the planet that can actually play world
class level jazz on the harp.

Anyway,  Rob, that clip of your playing was fantastic. Thank you for sharing!