Re: [Harp-L] YouTube -new harmonica player plays pop tunes

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:32 AM, joe leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Shelly wrote:
>
>  The Yardbirds were hugely influenced by and respectful of the blues
>> masters
>> who preceded them.
>>

> And that automatically makes it ok.
>

>   It is too bad that they were forced to lip synch for
>> that show but I'm sure many of you professionals can relate to the
>> restrictions you sometimes have no choice about.
>>

> Yes, several professionals have straightened me out on that. But I do hope
> that everyone realizes that I was (as usual) only commenting on this one
> performance on this one tiny space in time. Not anyone's entire career.
> Actually, ALL the British groups were great. Think of how empty the American
> music (and also movie) scene would have been without the British invasion.
> Where would 'I' be without Madness doing 'Our House'?
>

>   Did Keith Relf do a crappy
>> job of it that night.  Yeah, pretty much.  But he (and the Ybirds) brought
>> music with strong roots into Britain and the USA at a time when most other
>> bands were not doing that.
>>

> Strong roots? I don't understand. As for the program, I actually preferred
> another British program called 'Super Sonics'.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  Strong blues and R&B roots in their music.  As
opposed to groups like the Beatles, Dave Clark Five, the Hollies, etc and
many others in the first wave of the British Invasion.  The Yardbirds,
considered part of the second wave, were one of the groups whose music was
truly based in blues/R&B and it showed strongly.

>> Sonny Boy Williamson respected them enough to play with them.  And they
>> idolized him.
>>

> That (in itself) is a strong endorsement.
>

>> http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1001203/a/Sonny+Boy+Williamson+&+The+Yardbirds.htm
>>
>> Keith Relf was hugely talented.  He died at age 33 and is not here to
>> defend
>> himself.
>>

> No need to. What did he die from?

He was practicing guitar in his basement.  There are two versions.  One is
that there was a water leak in the basement, the other is that the guitar
was not properly grounded.  In any event, he was electrocuted.  His body was
found by his young son.  Horrible for the family.  A big loss for the music
world.