Re: [Harp-L] Best harp amp for under $500

Rick Davis wrote:
<Richard Hunter wrote about amp modeling, and there are two Roland solid
<state amps I like a lot for harp:  The Cube 30 and the Cube 60.  They are
<inexpensive and sound great with the COSM models and effects; with plenty of
<guts for jamming or performing.

Thanks Rick for reminding me that modelers come in a complete package too.  I should have mentioned that the Vox DA5 is inexpensive (less than $140 new), loud for its size, and plenty gutsy in terms of its tone.  It has built in delay and reverb too, not the best I've ever heard but plenty good enough for the money.  It sounds very good with a wide range of mics.  And finally finally, take a close look at the Fender Super Champ XD, which sells for about $325 new, and is a hybrid amp featuring a tube power amp section and a modeled preamp section.

In general, and contrary to popular sentiment, I believe that amp modelers, whether or not part of a complete amp, offer better value for money, especially for beginners, because of the wide range of tones they offer for relatively little money.  So I'd much rather buy a Vox DA5 than a Kalamazoo for a first amp.  The Kalamazoo sounds great, but it's not going to produce the same range of sounds that the DA5 can make.  And you'll still have to lay out for delay, reverb, etc. with the Kalamazoo.  (All that said, I own two tube amps--a modified Crate VC508 5-watter and a Sonny Junior Super Sonny--and I love 'em both.)

While we're at it, it's important to note that an amp and a mic make up a system, and changing either one dramatically changes the overall sound. So when you go to check out an amp, either bring the mic you plan to use, or test the mics when you test the amps.  If at all possible, go to a dealer to check out the gear.  If not, buy online from musiciansfriend.com, americanmusical.com, or zzounds.com, any of which will give you a 45 day no questions asked refund on your gear (but not on shipping costs--still better than being stuck with an amp you hate).

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick