Re: [Harp-L] Subject: Re: Dumping on other harmonica players' Videos for no good reason...

Thank you for writing this Elizabeth.  I am new here and have been sitting
here in shock and sadness at some of the emails I've read.  I have written
and said positive things about some of the players who have been dissed.
But I know that as a new member it just doesn't make sense to do much else.

I joined another group a few months before this one.  Maybe the contrast is
one of the things that makes this dumping on other players so prominent to
me.  Many groups and forums welcome new blood and have a desire to keep
their forums alive by attracting productive new members.  I wonder if having
new members is one thing that keeps this kind of activity to a minimum in
the other group.

People can say they were joking ("oh you don't understand my sense of
humor") or rationalize it in some other way.  They can object to your choice
of words.  If you don't think you've been dumping on other players then
insert your verb of choice.  But the names that some of these players have
been called and the tone of the emails is unattractively negative.

And since I'm still upset about the entire Keith Relf dissing, here is a
little more info for those with open minds.  And/or those who may enjoy
learning about a player they didn't know much about.

In the Autumn of 1963 Sonny Boy Williamson went to see the Yardbirds (Relf's
group... he put it together) perform.  He sat with Relf at the break, they
talked harp and SB showed Relf some new tricks.  SB decided that night that
he wanted to go to London and record an album with the Ybirds, which he did
about 4 months later.  He had even written some new songs specifically for
the recording.

My point is, you can call Keith "lousy" or say he "doesn't know how to hold
the harmonica" (he was probably trying to catch some breath for a change!!)
but it makes me wonder if you even know who you are dissing.  I think
Keith's work stands quite well on its own.  But the fact that SB decided the
very night he went to see them perform that he wanted to record with them
also says a lot.

When I pointed out that Keith died at age 33 and was not here to defend
himself the response was made that he didn't need to.  I beg to differ.  I
can't sit by and see someone attacked and not say/do anything.  And when
that person is clearly not present, not even able to be present, they most
certainly do need someone to present facts and defend them.

If you all want me out of Dodge just let me know.  I know you have been
together for a long time and I respect that.  Still, your group is open to
new members and I thought you might want to know how this looks with fresh
eyes.

Again, thank you for writing Elizabeth.  Thanks very much!

Shelly   (Defender of the Dead)