[Harp-L] Re: Subject: Re: Dumping on other harmonica players' Videos for no good reason...

On Jul 11, 2010, at 12:17 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

But....I wasn't talking about 'top mechanics'....or even 'top harmonica players', so your example doesn't seem to apply, imho.

Oh, you're right, of course. My post had nothing to do with your post. Which I think was a great post and right on the money. My post was giving a different perspective of why 'possibly' a person in a high position might attract comments. Most would be positive, some may be negative. Of course one would have to take it in the context it was made. We see it all the time on T.V. Commentators get on there and give their opinions. Then someone else takes shotes at the commentator, and it all goes round and round. I would hardly think that anything 'I' said amounted to a hill of beans and I sure wouldn't expect anyone to put a lot of stock in it. I'm not exactly E.F. Hutton.

My story had to do with my father in law and what happened to him. It wasn't an example to COMPARE with anyone. It was to be taken at face value. Why read something into it that wasn't there. When I look at things, I have a habit of looking for different takes on the same issue. That way, I don't have to feel that one point of view is being forced on me. This comes from years and years in court.

A top harmonica player - I'll use Jason Ricci as my personal example - would never and HAS never found the need to put down or insult another player in writing in a public forum. That's a fact.

I agree.

Further, we weren't talking about genuine 'critiques', but of laughing at and insulting - whether by innuendo or outright comment and including the person's choice of genres. Why is choice of genres even a topic of conversation here? Is this 'blues-l, jazz- l, classical-l'? I thought it was harp-l - everything related to harmonica. Mike's just affirmed that fact - and more power to him for wanting to play his music HIS way.

I certainly didn't jump on the band wagon about insulting people. My post didn't delve into that. My post had to do with 'possible' reasons why a person in an exalted positions need to expect it. Don't shoot the messenger.

I was also specifically alluding to people who put videos onto YouTube for their own use and needs - such as those who want to send them to family and friends living far afield (didn't I already mention this?), or per requests from friends who have no other way to experience their loved ones' music. There are soldiers posted overseas for whom this is the only way to see their loved ones' music. Anyone spare a thought for that? What must their family members feel like reading nasty comments beneath THOSE videos..and trust me I've seen more vicious and uncalled for comments on harmonica videos than I ever need or want to.

Well you're talking about people who add comments TO a video. Like you tube, my space, or face book. I have NEVER posted a comment in those places. I hear people write some nasty stuff there, so I don't go there.

Those are specifically the ones I'M talking about - continuing the same thread from a couple of years ago - when a lot of people here decided that as long as a harmonica video was put up on YouTube it was 'fair game' to be brought here to be dissected, and they WERE being dissected. Almost invariably the comments were not kind. 'Dumping-on' is most assuredly exactly what was being done. You might consider it 'people talking'...but you weren't on the receiving end of it.

Most of my posts are positive, but I have to admit that one or two of my posts in the last 10 years may have been construed as dumping. After thinking it over, I realized that I was out of line. So bad bad on me. But I think I explained it. I was only talking about a minute or two. I wasn't talking about their entire life.

Perhaps you don't see it as 'dumping' Smokey, or actual 'critiques' because you're very thick-skinned seemingly. Then again - the comments made on the videos I continually posted of your playing many times here 'back when' were invariably positive so you haven't had to personally deal with people 'dissecting' or insulting you. I wonder if you'd feel quite the same way if your playing was trashed for no good reason?

If I get trashed, that means someone didn't like what I did. I would feel bad for making them feel that way, but I would have to live with it. :(
The thick skin comes from a life of violence :( I'm sorry if I come across that way :( I have seen things no human has any right to see :(

I'm stating here and now - that IF I were ever to put something up on YouTube or anywhere else (hardly likely under the current circumstances but I do play at Open Mics at some conventions so who knows what others may do?), I am specifically invoking my personal privacy rights against having anyone on Harp-l posting it here for critiquing and/or dissection without my express permission.

I promised yesterday..no more negative waves....from me.

There are cases on YouTube/facebook/myspace - the internet in general- where very vulnerable adolescents have actually committed suicide due to being attacked/vilified/insulted verbally by other people (pick one - I was trying to use the least inflammatory word previously).

I don't visit those sites. For the very reasons you mention.

People - even musicians, have to be aware of the repercussions of their actions and even their choice of words. Where on earth did all the JOY go and all this 'righteous' nastiness surface? This isn't what music is supposed to be about, is it? It's sure leaving a sour taste, if it is.

'Dusting oneself off' isn't easy at all when one is young and vulnerable, and just to reiterate something a lot of us know - most people posting online ARE young. Not everyone out there on the internet is a grown professional musician (we ARE talking harmonica here and not your level of trained mechanics who would pretty much be grown adults simply by virtue of their level of expertise).

Sorry, but I don't see how one has anything much to do with the topic in question.

As I said, my post had nothing to do with your post.

And now for some cheerful harp content. Did a house party today. Played with Harry Connick's trumpeter.

Elizabeth