Re: [Harp-L] RE: THE COMB DEBATE REVISITED: SPAH Test

Vern writes:
Here is a brief description of the planned test protocol:
Hey, Vern old Harpbuddy!
The purpose is to see if players (not listeners in the audience) can attribute distinctive sounds to comb materials.
Hmm. I thought there were going to be three listeners on the "other side of the curtain" and spectal analysis as well...

One set of covers and reedplates will be used. They have been slightly modified to facilitate rapid comb changes.

The players will be blindfolded.
The harp has an attached weight to mask the weight differences of brass, wood, and plastic combs.
There will be an aromatic material inside the lower cover (e.g. Mentholatum) to mask odor differences in wooden combs.
There will be a coating on the front of the comb that the player can touch with the tongue to mask taste and texture differences.

Combs of several different materials will be placed in the harp in random order.

All of the players will play each comb and rate them against a set of adjectives selected by Brendan. e.g. warm, bright, loud, etc.
We have a plentiful supply of alcohol swabs for sanitizing the harp between players.
Will all the players play the same notes/tunes? Same positions? Overbends allowed? Hand effects OK or played on a rack?
There will be a total number of ratings for (number of players) x (number of combs) x (number of adjectives)
No particular reason to arbitrarily limit the number of observations to 1 per player or 1 per comb. That's where statistical analysis comes in. You can dramatically increase the accuracy of the results of your expersiment by increasing the number of observations. Here's a neat little web site that I found that is basically statistics by "Rules of Thumb."

http://www.internetraining.com/Statkit/StatKit.htm

As a Mechanical Engineer, I'm sure you are quite comfortable with rules of thumb. As stated under the "Sample Size" heading on that web page, a good rule of thumb is to use a "sample size of 30 for each relationship you measure." You can easily see how the number of samples grows very quickly with each relationship tested and the benefit of limiting the number of variables in your experiment.
This is not necessarily the best design for rigorous statistical analysis, but it should be fun and entertaining.
Nothing wrong with fun and entertaining, so long as everyone understands going in that the fact that the results are subjective puts some pretty severe restraints on the conclusions you could make.

methods.My point is that once you've assembled all the elements of your experiment (harmonica harware, players, listeners, spectographic equiment and so on, it seems worth it to go to a bit of extra time and effort to improve your ability to make conclusions based on accepted, objective, scientific You guys are so close to constructing a really bullet-proof way to put the many questions surrounding the "Great Comb Debate" to rest at long last. My question is: "How many times do you want to perform this basic experiment before you decide to answer its questions definitively?" IMHO, your time, the resources you will use to perform experiment and the person-hours involved (including the time you've already spent) are too valuable to ~not~ take the next step. If not now, when?
If the adjective ratings are evenly distributed among the comb materials, this will indicate the players' inability to distinguish one comb material from another by the sound.
If the ratings have a high correlation between adjectives and materials, this will indicate that the ability to distinguish among them may exist.
For example, if the brass comb has a high total score for "bright" and a low score for "warm" and the pear wood comb has the opposite, that would signify that the players were able to distinguish between brass and wood.
You may well find that simple statistical coefficients of correlation from "Paired-T" tests are not capable of removing bias in experiments like you describe and that more formal analysis such as Anaysis of Variance (ANOVA) may better characterize differences between the populations in your groups. Wouldn't it be nice to know that your data set holds statistically significant number of samples?

Another question -- what about the spectral analysis? You didn't really mention it in your above description, but I think the spectral analysis might be the most revealing and inherently quantitative of your data sets. There are many potential ways to extract quantitative information from the spectra. You could define ranges of frequencies that would represent the different adjectives, for example, "warm" frequencies would be in the lower requency range; "bright" frequencies would likely be found in the upper frequency ranges. The relative loudness parameter could be desribed by the amplitude of peak frequencies or the integral of the spectrum. You could look for overtone frequencies that might be present in one material and not another. Or one player's resonance and not another. Very fertile (and objective) ground, seems to me.

Vern (and Brendan), I hasten too avoid leaving the impression that I want to diminish in any way the experimental elements you have obviously worked hard to define. Quite the contrary, it's precisely because I think the long-term value of your experiment would be signifiantly enhanced with just a tad more scientific and statistical rigor that I open my big mouth in the first place.

Please know also that I want to avoid even the remote possibility of leaving the impression that I would seek to "horn-in" or take any credit at all for your guy's "baby." However, though I am certainly no "real" statistician, I have studied mathematical statistics and probability theory and have 35+ years of high-level medical research under my belt. If you could use another hand on deck, I will be going to SPAH this year and volunteer for any way I might be of assistance. Just leaving the door open...

Once again, this is all the way ~I~ see it. And the both of you seem to have navigated through life thus far OK without any help from me. ;-)

Vern, in any case I look very much forward to meeting you in person and shaking your hand after all these years! Seems like I probably owe you a beer from somewhere along the line, too. :-)

Michelle

PS: Oh, Dr. Antaki...