Re: [Harp-L] playing along

Hey Chris,

Great question! My approach to playing on a song that wasn't arranged for harp
will depend entirely on the song itself, and on the other musicians I'm trying
to cover the song with. Generally, I'll look for the strongest groove and try to
find my pocket there by duplicating it on harp. It usually comes from the bass
or rhythm guitar, but on songs where horns play a major groove role, I'll try to
cop those licks.

Once I have a sense of the overall groove, I'll mostly hang out there, and then
look to fill holes with little riffs and fills, as a horn player would. If
there's room for a solo, then I'll do my own dang thang there.

My band does a version of "Midnight Hour" and we only have drums, bass, lead
guitar and harp. For that song I created my own "horn lines" to go against the
vocals during the verses because the original lines didn't sit well on my
diatonic. However, the signature lick preceding the solo I play note for note
since the audience is expecting it. It works.

Other songs may require an entirely different solution, but my process for
finding the groove is the same. Most blues songs not originally intended to have
harp (ie Stevie Ray Vaughn, BB King etc.) can accommodate harp quite readily if
you listen to what the bass and rhythm are doing and hang out there.

Hope this helps.
Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.
TeraBlu Band on My Space