[Harp-L] EASY conversion to Natural/Harmonic minor

Anyone who wishes to try out these tunings can do so easily on their
own without the need to get a new harp. Brendan Power's “Blu Tack
Trick” to the rescue!

Blu Tack is that putty intended to stick posters to walls. It comes in
cheaper generics that work just as well. Mine was a couple of bucks at
Staples. Enough to last a lifetime.

Best part is that this is reversible as the putty just has to be
picked off to return the harp to it's original tuning. And the putty
seems to stay on indefinitely if physically undisturbed. Just a little
bit will do he trick, placed at the tip of the reed on the rivet side.

Both harmonic minor and natural minor are possible with this method as
the 5 affected reeds are lowered in pitch by a semitone each on a
standard Richter tuned harp. The melody maker tuning on the other hand
requires three reeds to be raised in pitch so the blu tack trick won't
work here.

To do the job, disassemble the harp and clean it. I usually use liquid
hand or dish soap and a toothbrush, gently. Place a slip of paper
under the reed when applying the putty so the reed won't bend into the
slot making the placement awkward. Whatever instrument works for you
can be used to apply the putty. I use an exacto type knife with a
small blade.

First take a small bit of putty, smaller than a pea and roll it into a
thin roll and cut off a small amount. Stick it onto the top at the end
of the reed, rivet side, remove the paper, hold the reed plates in
place on the comb and gently check the tuning with a tuner while
blowing or drawing. Add or subtract material as required . More is
needed for the larger reeds. Sometimes just plinking the reed near the
tuner will give a good indication how close the reed is to the desired
pitch without having to blow or draw the reed.

For natural minor lower by a semitone blow 2, 5, 8 and draw 3 and 7.

For harmonic minor lower by a semitone blow 2, 5, 8 and draw 6 and 10.

As I said before, the putty seems to stick indefinitely. Some of my
favourite harps have had it on for months. When I clean them I'm
careful when brushing the area. The putty is temperature sensitive to
don't put your harp or reed plates in hot water.

Reference into:

http://www.leeoskar.com/documentation/4Tunings_Review.pdf