RE: [Harp-L] How we learn Blues Harp

I do agree, one of the main reasons of not reading music is probably that
most of harp players change instrument often, which makes reading a
complicated task, if not impossible.
Comparing this difficulty with the fact that most of harp players play Blues
or "Blues derivated music", where music sheet is not so important, it
renders reading a useless task.

I've begin reading music when I've decided to play tunes with complex chord
changes (the word "complex" being totally relative ...), complex rhythm
changes, and tonality changes.
At a certain point of complexity (for me this has been very quick in fact,
as I used to consider Autumn Leaves as a complex tune :-)), it becomes
extremely useful being able to read. Apart from reading and playing more
easily, it also enables to better understand what's going on musically, and
to better analyze and prepare the theme and a solo.

I play on a C harp on 99% of the tunes I work. Once in a while, I try to
play with a Bb harp. In that case, I think like a trumpet, and consider my
instrument as a C instrument. And I transpose the music sheet for a Bb
instrument.
Doing this, I can play with the exact same mental schemas than if I were
playing with the C harp, which I know perfectly, without having to know
which notes are present on the Bb harp.

For example, let's say the tune begins by "Bb C D Gb", and I want to play it
on a Bb harp.
I transpose the tune for Bb instruments, so the new music sheet will be : "C
D E Ab"
I know that "C D E Ab" on my C harp are played : +1 -1 +2 -3'''
If I read the music sheet and play what I read on a Bb harp (as if it were a
C harp), I will get : Bb C D Gb.

Best regards,

Jerome
www.youtube.com/JersiMuse