[Harp-L] Re: How we learn Blues Harp

My late mother-in-law, a high school english teacher for 40 years said, "you don't teach a
subject, you teach students." Figure out how each student learns, then
you can teach them - and yourself.

For any discipline, but perhaps especially in musical matters, which involve every part of the brain, there is no "best" or right way to teach or learn, except whatever works for the individual.  The individual has to experiment with different learning approaches to find what works for him or her.

And when someone feels an approach to learning is easy - for them - it may be difficult for them to see how it ain't for others.  Reading musical notation, transposing and correlating notes on harps of different keys is terribly difficult for me, almost painful.  For others, it's not.

Vive la difference!   Since 1970 I've learned by ear and sometimes work out riffs on a piano, but I'm just a hack who loves to play 2d position blues harp.  Took very few lessons (recent years), read fewer books (part of Dummies), and I don't claim to be a competent musician, but I can play the blues.

-Didactic Dave

--- On Wed, 7/21/10, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx <harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:e: [Harp-L] How we learn Blues Harp
        	Wednesday, July
21, 2010 12:33 AM