Re: [Harp-L] practicing with a tuner

On Jun 1, 2010, at 6:06 PM, Cljdm@xxxxxxx wrote:

I am practicing with a tuner on my music stand lately. An eye opener to say
the least. Especially on the 3 hole bends. Always can us some work on
them. The tuner helps immensely with well, staying in tune, but also helps me
with developing a better ear. I can watch the tuner and see the note I am
hitting and how many cents I am off sharp or flat, or in some cases how
right on I am. Which hole I need work on, and how to get the note spot on with
my breath control and other techniques. Very effective tool while
practicing. I am kicking myself for not using it sooner while I practice.

Thank you: as a long-time player (~30 years) still mired in a kind of perpetual intermediate state, where the deeper bends and consistency are a problem, this will be a real boon. Like playing against a metronome, it can't help but solidify the fundamentals.

Dave