Re: [Harp-L] looking for a new home...

On Jun 2, 2010, at 11:47 AM, Gene Pool wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Joe. The forum is still available (to some) although the site is down. I never really liked the diatonic and chromatic forums being separated like that - a strange brand of segregation.

Hi Gene. Please be advised that I play both of the small harps, plus have played a few other instruments (trumpet, clarinet, sax, flute). Perhaps I can explain it this way. Having been on harp-l for 10 years and Slidemeister for over 10 years. And while I'm not speaking for the owner of Slidemeister, I feel the general concensus is as follows:

The list owner (who, btw, is also a devilishly good diatonic player), was getting tired of wading through a lot of posts regarding diatonic discussion(s). It wasn't so much the diatonic per se, but the ancillary subjects that were prevalent. Things like "How did Sonny Boy get that tone on the 5-7 draw", or "I think Kim Wilson is the best player in the world", or "What mode is Juke in", or "Little Walter threw the French house detective down the stairs". Also, while diatonics can be used for many forms of musics, blues seemed to rule the diatonic discussions. So, his basic feeling was: "Who GIVES a (crap), just shut up and play".

Then there was the profanity. Every now and then someone uses a word that is totally out of line on a pubic list. And the list owner is a religious man. Then there was the friction. Also unacceptable. The list owner felt that by the volume of posts, diatonic seemed to run about 30% of the discussions, with chromatic at only 8.75%, and the rest (over 60%) was for lack of a better term, 'unnecessarily large amounts of bovine excretia'.

So, seeing that the chromatic was a poor stepchild (to his mind) on other lists, he started Slidemeister as a TOTALLY chromatic list. Diatonics were allowed to be mentioned in 'passing' or to make a point, but not to be dwelled on. He felt there were more than ample opportunities for that on other lists. In fact, he ENCOURAGED players to seek out harp-l and other lists in an effort to fulfill their needs. Over time, he was convinced to allow some diatonic discussion but it had to be separate and if he saw that it was taking over, it would be dropped. So, to that end, he limits the amount of traffic.

I did challenge the owner - that's the rule I broke, but I thought that the topic was as much a chromatic topic as a diatonic topic.

I would too.

When I try to log in I get the message, 'Wants to go all suckharp'.

Yeah, ha ha ha, that sounds like him.

I'm not familiar with the 'camel in the tent' fable' but I will look it up.

Short version: It was a very cold night on the desert and Ahab's camel (Mustapha) stuck his nose in the tent to seek a little warmth. Ahab pushed him out. So, to make a long story short, after much pleading with soft brown camel eyes and braying and whimpering, Ahab finally relented and let Mustapha keep his nose in the tent. The next morning they found Mustapha fully inside the tent, whereas Ahab had been gradually shoved outside into the cold. Ahab had frozen to death.

Moral? Give em a nose and they take the whole tent. (modern version: Give em a finger and they take the whole arm).
Hope this helps. I really do.

Jo-Zeppi (whose mom had a tattoo reading: 'Joseph')

Grant