Re: [Harp-L] Jamming etiquette

Cecilio & Kapono....Sailin"...from the night music album...

If you want to bring tears to big Hawaiian dude's eyes...just play the intro to this song......

I played with a Hawaiian Band "Nalu" when I lived on the Big Island...
They played many C&K tunes.

Hawaiian etiquette is much different that other places...
For one...the hotel gigs are sometimes handed down to the next generation...
If you have a good gig...you keep it...it is an Island ...no get no road trip bruddah...

I used to sit out on the beach at the Outrigger and watch C&K do their thing..I was to broke for the floor show..but the open air theatre allowed a great beach venue..
perfect harmonies,  Great music..they even made it to the Mainland for a time....

In Hawaii...( not Waikiki) when you have a party...you call it a luau and you don't hire a band...
People would all bring an instrument..I don't remember ever having to worry about egos...
We never played the blues much but anything you could add in was welcome..and the guys can play...Soulful Hawaiian music...(see John Cruz and Taj Mahal)

There are some great harmonica players...I have  a cousin Ryan Walters on the Big Island who plays great diatonic...we had a band with three harmonica players.

My favorite times were the ones where the Grandfather/ (Tutu kane)  would come sing with the circle of musicians...grandma walks by and adds the harmony...
Best of all...some guy you would be intimidated by, 350 Lbs..++ would start singing the soprano harmonies...right in tune...(seen IZ)....sweeeeet.

yeah, too bad about that tourist guys "making A" as they say..my guess is Henry Kapono is used to it..what a talent.

I never asked to sit in...just enjoyed it...sounds like you did to.

I will say that one thing has always bugged me about sitting in with other groups who play a unique kind of music.
When they see the harmonica, they always want you to play some blues and break the flow of the show....
Even though they don't play blues... they will play something like steam roller blues like James Taylor....ruining the flow of the show....
I always beg the band to please just keep playing from the set list once I figure I can blend in....common ground...

One of my favorite harp players...that you never hear...Fingers Taylor...Jimmy Buffet band...Haven't heard him...exactly...
Get the Island Blend...it taste real good.

Don't play Honolulu city light...or I might start crying too.

Much aloha Bra.
Grant Walters