Re: [Harp-L] Why you should learn chromatic

Yes, it can be done, and quite effectively at that. For evidence, check out
Howard Levy's Out of The Box DVD in which he plays songs in all 12 positions
on one C diatonic. Here's samples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MtRHq8ERCE
Nor is he the only one. There's a growing following who are pursuing his
lead, especially with the advent of his school.

As to why you would want to play a diatonic chromatically, that's almost
like asking why would you want to learn violin instead of the viola, or vice
versa. While similar, they're ultimately different instruments, and what
draws you to one over the other is an aesthetic preference that can't be
justified. In the case of the harmonica, there are practical benefits as
well: the diatonic is smaller, cheaper, and easier to maintain (no
mechanical moving parts) than the chromatic. Personally, I just like the
sound better with its expressive ability to bend notes--which, incidentally,
I think sound quite "musical."  But again, listen to Howard (or any other
overbend practitioner) and judge for yourself.

Just my $.02.

Ansel