Re: [Harp-L] Wood 270 comb report

On Jun 14, 2010, at 7:34 AM, MundHarp@xxxxxxx wrote:

I've been back in the Philippines for nearly a month, after a couple of
months based in the "Valley of the Sun" in Phoenix Arizona, USA.
The temperature during the day in Phoenix is often 100 degrees F... And it
rarely goes below 90 degrees F here, in Cebu City, RP...
The difference is humidity. The Philippines is a damp place, Phoenix is not
a damp place! Phoenix is in the middle of the Arizona desert.
My chromatic harmonica "axe" of choice is the Hohner Super Chromonica...
The "270". This harp comes as standard, with a pear wood comb. I have a set
of 13 harps, one in every major key. That is how I make my music. (I also
play diatonic, and favour Hohner MS harps).
After a month in the Arizona "Valley of the sun", FOUR of my chrom's combs
"split".... The harmonicas simply dried out.

You're lucky YOU didn't split. I have been there. My lips and KNUCKLES split. So I checked my 'doopa' but it was alright.
smo-joe (in soup bowl Florida)

Michael Timler at _www.harponline.de_ (http://www.harponline.de) has fixed
one of them for me. Thanks Michael!
But now I'm back, residing in a "tropical rainforest" in south-east
Asia.... The other 3 chromatic harps (although still split) have regained
moisture. And have re-sealed themselves!
OK... I LOVE "270s".
But if, as a harmonica player, you plan to commute between the Arizona
desert at 100 degrees and the Arizona mountains at 30 degrees F, and then go
back to a tropical rain forest.
My suggestion is... Don't use harps with pear wood combs... Go for
plexiglass, plastic or stainless steel.
When I get the money together, I'm going to re-comb all of my 270s.
Having in the past, lived in southern Florida, as well as in sunny Trinidad
and Tobago... I should have learnt my lesson by now.
And no, I don't think that the harmonicas comb material has any significant
effect, to the audience!

John "Whiteboy" Walden
English harmonica player,
Now residing in: