[Harp-L] RE: Champ amp question

Niall Tracey wrote:
<What you really want to do is fit a 1/4" jack socket onto the wires.
<You're specifically looking for a jack socket with "break contacts".  This means <that for each section of the plug there is two contacts -- when there is no plug in <the jack socket, the circuit will complete, and will flow through the contact <pairs.  This means that you can wire it up so that when no external speaker is wired <up, the internal speaker will be used.  Plug in a cable and these contacts break.  <The internal speaker is switched off and the circuit completes through the external <speaker.
<

I did exactly this with my Crate VC508.  The jack was about $4 at Radio Shack.  Took a couple of minutes to figure out which lugs to solder the leads to.  I cut a small piece of square-shaped plywood to attach the jack to, then glued the plywood to the inside of the lower back panel on the VC508 cabinet.  Solid, looks and works fine, about an hour's work total including the trip to Radio Shack.

Regards, Richard hutner

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick