Re: [Harp-L] Great Smithsonian Site/Roger Strange

Robert Loomis wrote:
A great Smithsonian old-timey blog on the origins and stories of old
songs and lots o' history and vids has this version of Careless Love by
Roger Strange on harmonica and Bob Love on acoustic guitar and vocal:*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eulOdr0J-HY&feature=player_embedded#
*The Blog is here:*
* http://theanthologyofamericanfolkmusic.blogspot.com
No doubt other great harp links to be found there.

Thanks for the links, Bob! I especially relish the possibilities of mining that blog.

While on the subject of "Careless Love," I discovered a watershed of classic versions of this classic tune on the page when I watched the Roger Strange version. A who's who of venerable blues musicians are available on Youtube. One of the great things about Youtube is how you can discover so many terrific artist's works you may never have to opportunity otherwise enjoy. Talk about mother lodes to mine, here's a great Youtube example -- Sleepy John Estes and Hammie Nixon with their version of "Careless Love."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D580rlbcapM&feature=related

What a treat! Hammie KILLS this tune. I just can't get enough acoustic blues duos, classic or modern, from Estes & Nixon To Bibb & Dermody -- they're all great.

Michelle

PS: Yes, that was a clever plug. Harp-L's own Grant Dermody appears on two terrific new CDs, one his own and the other by Eric Bibb, on which Grant appears on the majority of the tunes. I'll share the details in another post.