Re: [Harp-L] Dermody on two new CD releases

I've been patiently waiting for Grant Dermody to plug his recent appearances on two terrific new CD's. I may have been sleeping but I haven't seen anything on Harp-L about these significant achievements by one of our own. Grant just returned from a successful European tour with the great Eric Bibb, so he has been justifiably distracted. If I missed something I apologize, but in the apparent absent his own plugs, I'll speak up.

The first CD is titled, "Lay Down My Burden" and is Grant's own. It is steeped in acoustic blues but strays as far as Stephen Foster and even concludes with a Tibetan prayer. It is terrifically musical throughout and features a star-studded list of contributors like Bibb, John Cephas, Joe Filisko, and Mark Graham amongst many others. Grant's stunning tone and expansive library of chops are abundant. From one tune to the next, each song excites and delights the ear.

Eric's CD is aptly titled, "Booker's Guitar." It is so named because Bibb plays many of the tunes on the classic bluesman Booker White's actual antique resonator guitar. Grant is the only guest musician and plays on the majority of the songs. In addition to his exquisite tone and fine technique, Grant constantly displays his refined taste as he skillfully backs the powerful Bibb.

If you are interested in acoustic blues music and are unaware of Eric Bibb, you are in for a real treat. He is as talented and dedicated as any modern bluesman, with great guitar chops and a deep, passionate voice. Probably more popular in Europe than State-side Bibb is a true rising star in the international blues scene. Together with Grant, the Bibb-Dermody duo is well-positioned to carry on the tradition of the fabled Cephas-Wiggins duo (to which Grant has direct roots). I see no other acoustic blues duo on the horizon with the capacity to educate and delight new audiences to the wonder of this great American roots music.

Both CD's are must-haves if you enjoy great acoustic blues harmonica.

http://www.grantdermody.com/

http://ericbibb.com/

Get 'em! :-)

Michelle