Re: [Harp-L] Kim Wilson harp rig

"Patrick Lines" wrote:
<I have one that I used with guitar amplifiers before I got hip to harmonica
<specific amplification. It really worked well in that regard and is probably
<why Wilson uses it with the Devilles. As I remember it carves out somewhere
<around the 160hz frequency where guitar amps start to get muddy and leaves
<the octave below so you have more bass and it also helps with feedback.

160 hz is definitely "mid-bass"--the typical bass guitar on a record is peaking somewhere in the 100-150hz range.  But the octave below that is 80 hz, which is right where the bass drum sits.  On harmonica that frequency is mostly occupied by breathing noise. Dunno why it would do anyone any good to leave that frequency in place for a stage performance--in fact, I usually tell the soundman to take out everything from 80hz down, and some will put a highpass filter in place at 100hz for harp whether you ask them to or not.  As noted by Stephen Schneider on this forum in the past, the "fat" frequency for harp is around 250hz.

Thanks, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick