Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Man With The Harmonica-Ennio Morricone

Arthur: I can't translate it fully, although I enjoyed following along and
got some of what he was talking about...having to use a diatonic because
you  couldn't use a chromatic at the same time as a pistol, and he had to come
up  with 'that sound'  as far as I could determine. He did talk about
Bronson  'cupping' the diatonic..but I'm not sure if he was saying Bronson
already played  or not, and does demonstrate getting the 'dying breath' sound....

Anyway, here's an actual full performance by Signore de Gemini of the
'tune' from the Movie. He begins about 3:47 in...

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2t_UJdplg8_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2t_UJdplg8)

What I found amazingly funny  this time around (and never noticed  before
despite watching the Movie umpteen times)...is how old, dented and  beat up
the harmonica is when Henry Fonda shoves it into the young boy's mouth
(Bronson as a child) and the camera pulls back to show the brother  balancing on
the kid's shoulders...and that same dented, beat up diatonic is the  one
used when Bronson returns the 'favour' at the end.  But when the camera  comes
in on the closeup of the boy's face just before his brother kicks him away
(effectively hanging himself)...it looks like a brand new SP 20 (or the
equivalent), clearly a completely different harp and far too modern to be  an
Old West  instrument.

I can't believe I never saw this before.

Elizabeth

Message: 6